Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Task Calender

This time of year, I get sent a variety of calenders free in the mail or at local shops. Since I am a die hard Harry Potter fan, I choose to purchase the new year's calender. But, what do I do with all the freebies???   Make a task calender.
Rather than put daily items on this calender, put weekly tasks that happen every month. This is a reminder more than anything. I write a task for a one week every month, and since my work schedule is different every week, it gives me a week to complete the task without the guilt.

Some examples I have on mine:
Clean the floors (this includes mopping my entire tile floor house)
Flea treatments for the dogs (even if the flea aren't present, it makes me check)
Car treatments (wash, check fluids and wipers, tire pressure, etc)
Yard work (there is always something I can do)
Chicken coop (refresh bedding, poop scoop, despur roosters, check general health of my flock)
Garden duty (prep garden beds, plan for season, weed walkways, check irrigation in off season)
Garage duty (because it always seems like a half way house for various items)
Smoke detector checks (every month)
Air filter for the house air conditioning (this happens twice a year, but it's on there)
Ceiling fan cleaning (this happens in November....when all the fans stop moving)
Propane tank check (Spring, getting ready for summer BBQs)
Sprinkler tests (late winter/early spring in anticipation for 100+ degree weather)

The best thing about this system is every month you can see what needs to be done, add unexpected tasks, and get a general idea of the "master to do list". If you have made this year's resolution to be more organized, what a great way to start. I post this calender next to the front door where each family member has a cubby. We can all see it, and we can all choose a task from it. Now if only my kids chose the chicken coop duty more often.....

Happy Planning

No comments:

Post a Comment