Thursday, August 30, 2012

Men's Button Down to Kid's Button Down

Making clothes for your kids is rewarding and fun, especially when you can remake a thrift store find into something cool.
First, you will need a button down shirt that fits. I chose one that was a little big for my son, so that he could grow into them (if I'm making the effort, I want them to last).

Next, get your thrift store find. I have found that the sizes of men's shirts vary, but the sizes of the collars tend to be close to the same size. The shirt shown, I was not able to use. It was a 3X and the collar was just too big for my six year old's body. But the idea is there. Lay the kid's shirt over the big one so that the collars align. Draw a line around the body of the shirt. Then, move the shirt to the sleeves and draw a line around them, make sure you have the sleeves aligned at the cuff.
Sew the sleeves on the shirt (sorry for no picture), then sew the length of the sides. Fold over the hem and sew.
The results: five new shirts from thrift store finds costing about $15. Plus, I have leftover fabric that will make boxers, dog toys, and shirts for my son's favorite puppy dog toy. The hardest part was getting my son to try them on (he was playing video games). Now, I'm on the lookout for a "Magnum PI" hawaiian shift, because every kid should have one. If only we could duplicate the trademark mustache......
Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment