Tuesday, August 28, 2012

School Clothes Dressing Board

Since I work most nights of the week, I arrive home just in time to take my son to school. His older sisters are in high school, so they spend the better part of their morning doing hair and makeup. Often times, I get home an my son is still in his pajamas.

After about a week of mad dashing to get the right clothes and find the lost shoe under the couch, I devised a board.


This board is designed to go behind the door so it doesn't turn into the centerpiece of a child's room. This is a left over piece of plywood that resembles the size of my child. I painted it in the colors of my son's paint swatch room and added hooks and clamps. The top hook hold a hanger for shirts, the bottom for pants. I used a garment hanger so I could clamp pants in. The hooks were predrilled holes for easy placement, and the clamps (office supplies) were glued in place and taped with duct tape to dry. Careful of runny glue.  The two clamps are for socks and underwear. Place shoes at the bottom.
Once everything is dry, I screwed it into the wall, or you could Command Strip it in place.


The idea was to have my son help pick out clothes for the next day, but also give him creative freedom with what he wants to wear to school.

A few times, I had to step in on his choices....

All in all, this is a great time saver. My daughters grab his clothes without using up their before school time, my son is happy with his wardrobe selections, and I like spending a few minutes with him every night setting up for the next day. I also am giving him style lessons without him knowing. :)

Total cost: free for me, I had everything I used.
Total cost from scratch: $3-4 plywood from salvage bin, $5 paint, $2 hooks and clamps

No comments:

Post a Comment