Friday, March 23, 2012

Black Out Curtains

I work nights at the local hospital, so black out curtains are a must if I sleep between 8am and 3pm. They are also useful if you live by a street lamp, or a neighbor who likes the security of night lights. Here is a simple way to take your exsisting curtains and block out the sun.
First, take down your curtains, measure them and journey to the fabric store for thick, dark fabric. Black is best - I found mine on the clearence rack at WalMart. $1/yard= I bought the whole bolt for $10.
Here is the Before:
Cut and tack or hand sew dark fabric to back side of loops or a high spot on the top of the curtain.
Be sure if you have loops to leave about two inches of fabric to the top. Then, when hanging, the curtain will increase the black out effect. Tack the sides of the curtain down the sides. Since I use these several times a week, I used finishing nails. If used not so much, I suggest thumbtacks.

For a rod that is placed outside the window frame, a top valence is vital. Here, I found four placemats at the thrift store for $1.50. I sewed them together and attached them to the wall above the curtain rod. This way, the light doesn't come out the top.
When the curtains are drawn, keep them closed with horseshoe clips or similair.
The Effect: this room is completely blocked. I had to hide the flash to take this pic. It's 12 noon right now. No light is entering the room.

Happy Sleeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment