Monday, May 7, 2012

On the Farm - Spring

Several thing have been happening around these parts. Spring is here. I've been planting up a storm, weeding, cleaning the pool and watching nature work her magic.
This is this summer's Raised Bed Garden. After trying several different styles of garden, this by far, is the best for my soil, my manpower and my patience. Simple construction of low boxes are 2x6 lumber that was cut at Home Depot for free and painted with OOPS paint (see H.D. paint section and you can stumble on great treasures of paint that wasn't perfect, for cheap). PVC sprinklers that are portable and easy to fix just in case. Soon, when the weeds get high, I run the weed eater between the boxes and lay down straw.
Newly hatched Bantum Blue Silkies, courtesy of "Mama Hen" (my daughter, Miranda)

Grapes, grapes, and more grapes. Three different varieties - Green Ladyfinger, Thompson Seedless and Red Globe Seedless. Planted along the borders of my property, drip irrigation and recycled 4x4s and wire supports. I hope that one day I can make raisins, juice and have several walks in the orchard with a fist full of grapes.
Our pool is a simple one, but a vital.Northern California hits triple digits often. Tiki torches allow us to enjoy the cool water without the pests. I have been researching lifeguard chairs to sit high and over the edge of the pool, so I can get my feet cool while watching the little ones play. I hope to include construction in an upcoming blog, made from PVC pipe. Can you tell I love that stuff!!
My son enjoying his favorite veggie, RADISHES. Good thing they grow so quickly. The radishes, not the kids. In a few days, my son will be six.

I love Spring! Happy Living Outside this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment