Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Humming Birds


I felt like a bad mom today. While standing at my kitchen sink, a humming bird came to my feeder, sat on the little perch, tried to eat, then left hungry.
I haven't filled it since summer. Well, now that winter is here and no more flowers are blooming, I needed to do 'spring cleaning' on my feeder.
As usual, I needed to look up on line to find the mix ratio. I went to google, found http://www.howtoenjoyhummingbirds.com/ Great sight for just what I needed. And provided a nice pic.

So now, after soaking my feeder, giving it a good scrub down (baby bottle brushes are great for this), it is now soaking in a 10% bleach solution. My pot is now cooling with a 4:1 ratio of water and sugar. I have noticed that sites say not to add red food coloring to the mix. I tried it and I got less birds feeding than the bright red juice.
I get excited to see them stop by, and looking forward to showing my son them as they fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment