Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Prepare for the Summer Garden

In California, it's looking a lot like the end of Spring. But, as my calender schedule tells me, it's about the time to start the seed pots for this summers bounty. As always, I dig my nose into the latest seed catalogs, stand like a kid in a candy store in front of the seed display at the local store and plan for a giant garden. In reality, I have several raised beds that are stuffed to the brim with growing goodies.
This years plan is seen above....too much?? Well, after this photo was taken, I put in an order for more seeds. Is there such thing as a seed-aholic? Come to find out, my mother was out of something that I just so happen to have. So I am planning on starting seedlings and giving her a ready to plant heirloom tomato. I also start seedlings and bring them into work. It is always fun when people bring in veggies to share in the summer.
Where to put the seeds? I am also an organization junkie, so I have a place for everything.

The Seed Box is a simple index card box(large sized) with dividers. Seed packets fit right in to their designated area.
Next up, making seed pots from newspaper. I have this great little gadget from Burpee Seeds, called the Potmaker. A wooden contraption that rolls lengths of newspaper into pots that grow seedlings that can be planted straight into the ground. Very clever.I have accomplished the same process by rolling a length of newspaper (10"x4") around something round (eg. thick dowel, small can like tomato paste) and folding the bottom edge to hold together. I have put tape on the bottoms before, but had to remove the paper before planting.
New items I have chosen this year are small golden squash that look like pears, luffa sponges, Cinderella pumpkins, and heirloom veggies that I plan to seed save to use for years to come. By the way, saving seeds is easy and free. Just don't save hybrid seeds. They might grow again, but not the same as first year.

Happy Seeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment