Thursday, February 23, 2012

Project Studio : The Beginning

I have been working a lot lately on a studio that would, for now, be living quarters for you soon to be 18 yr old (since she can't move far away-I still need a babysitter for my night shifts). Once she is ready to move on...my crafting studio/canning kitchen/storage area. I have found that with permits and such, two 12ftx10ft sheds put together will do the trick. This is an example of one of the sheds.
Now, picture two of these, off set by five feet, set together. The first shed will be the living room area, with high ceilings and a sliding glass door where the barn door is. A window at the "X" on top and one more on the side. The back shed will be the kitchen, bath, dining area. This shed will have a loft to be the bedroom.
So far, I have had great fun in planning, changing and finally liking a layout so much, I ordered the sheds.
Why use sheds? I looked into small mobile homes- and found a price tag that was outragious! Sheds make this little space within anyones budget.
I plan to chronicle my journey here.
I had an area of my yard that wasn't doing much, but had great potential.

This side yard has a lot of shade and was used as my dog run. I had to move my clothes line :( Pardon the mess on the right, I had to clear out most of the stuff in the yard.
Next up, dig the foundation.

Today, concrete foundations were poured in prep for concrete blocks. It was a tradition with my contractor dad, the youngest kid got to put his/her handprint in every job. William got this task. I also was able to put a memorial for my dad. I live in the last house he built, it seemed appropriate I do something for him for the first 'house' I built.

Now, I get to rest and let cement dry. On to cleaning and crafting and such. I will keep posting updates as well as ending cost vs. budget. I am amazed at what a mom and her kids can do.
Happy Construction!

No comments:

Post a Comment